Monday, October 20, 2014

Post #7


            After reading and watching videos on the concept of multimodality I came to the final conclusion that multimodality is: “the mixture and combination of different modes to communicate. It is choosing the best modes for a specific topic that will most efficiently work together to communicate more clearly a basic thought or idea.” Multimodality is the process of putting together different modes to best express a concept to an audience or group of people. I’m confused on how multimodality and genre would have any kind of direct relationship, other than how it is stated that a genre ‘provides an important frame of reference which helps readers to identify, select and interpret texts.’ That sort of relates to multimodality because it is like a means for communicating. It also says in the reading that ‘making sense of texts within genres is an active process of constructing meaning.’

            If I am thinking correctly about both of the terms then I feel like the only relationship they have is the fact that they are both a way to communicate, or express meaning. They both use modes, although it may be a different set of modes for each, to come forth and construct meaning through a combination of the best ones available. A genre itself is made up of multiple modes just like multimodality is. In the reading it also states, “Genres can thus be seen as a kind of shorthand serving to increase the ‘efficiency’ of communication.” Which is extremely similar to my idea of multimodality.

No comments:

Post a Comment