Sunday, September 7, 2014

Natalie de Gracia - Blog Post #3


Johnson-Eilola and Selber’s concept of assemblage similarly relates to “Remix” by challenging our definition of plagiarism and explaining that everything today is a sort of byproduct of past ideas. In the essay, the authors take two terms: originality and plagiarism, and uncover a “happy medium”: assemblage. They encourage teachers to see assemblage as an actual valid form of writing rather than as plagiarism. The authors define assemblage as texts constructed from existing works to solve a problem in a novel text (very similar to the definition of a remix which also combines existing ideas to create a new product). The definitions of originality and plagiarism continue to evolve and change as time goes on. Plagiarism tends to deal primarily with the legal aspects associated with one’s “original” work.  Teacher’s main concern with plagiarism is the ethical aspect of it all. They don’t want students straight up stealing work from others without putting any effort themselves into it. Originality, however, can be defined as combining past ideas to create a novel idea, as long as, they indeed create a new product. If the idea has already been invented and is simply just stolen work then it is to be considered plagiarism. I agree with the authors’ viewpoint on assemblage. I believe assemblage is not plagiarism and it is much more complex then just combining ideas. Assemblage requires creativity and original thought even though it is using past works and ideas. I personally believe that as long as a student isn’t “word for word” stealing another author’s text, and is including their own beliefs and opinions it is “original” as well. I believe that the article itself was pretty straight forward, although it is a very subjective topic, I think the authors did a great job getting their point across.

No comments:

Post a Comment