This reading in my opinion is very difficult to understand.
His diction and writing style make it difficult to understand what he is trying
to convey. From my understanding this passage focuses on a number of topics all
related to writing and specifically rhetoric. The beginning focuses on context
and how words tend to mean different things depending on the other words surrounding
it. I thought this was quite interesting because at times while I was reading
it seemed like he was using improper word usage but as I looked at the context I
realized that it was actually very accurate usage. He continues on talk talk
more about context and how you have to take into consideration all aspects of
the piece. Time period, social status, age, etc. Referring to context “Most generally
it is a name for a whole cluster of events that recur together - including the
required conditions as well as whatever we may pick out as cause or effect” To
my understanding, what he means by this is that context isn’t just the words
surrounding a certain word that give it its meaning, it is the circumstances of
the piece that require certain usage. There’s a reason for the word being used
and that word has an effect on the overall piece. Overall the majority of this
piece was very confusing to me, I found myself re reading certain passages many
times over. I believe that this piece relates to our discussion of remix in a
few ways. Somebody may see a certain
word used in a certain context written in somebody’s piece and they may change
the context of it giving it new meaning but also keeping its original state.
Context is very easily remixed and it can have a big impact on the overall
piece as stated by Richards.
No comments:
Post a Comment