While sitting in class at first, I had no idea what you wanted from us. It was a hard concept to grasp but then I quickly understood what I could make out of this. During my junior year of high school, my teacher had almost an entire semester’s worth of classic superhero stories to analyze in class. They ranged from the old Greek Mythology stories, all the way to the most recent Disney movies like, “The Incredibles.” During that year of high school, I was taught that almost every single superhero story we hear today has been derived from an older, similar story. It didn’t make much sense at first because I thought, “Every story has an original plot with original villains, right?” False. I quickly learned that every superhero story follows the same path in some shape or form.
In the story Beowulf, he is chosen by the king to defend an entire nation due to his courage and strength. The entire country loves him because he is able to do things so easily. Then, towards the end of the story, he is faced with an ultimate battle that can either kill him or his friends. Beowulf ends up dying in the story and he is remembered for all his powerful deeds. Now, whether other stories copy this exact script or not, it sounds very familiar across the board. All superheroes are the most powerful people in their story, and then face a huge battle that almost (or does) kill them. These are the types of similarities I’d like to trace in my genealogy project.
No comments:
Post a Comment