I had difficult time trying to understand. I think Richard’s
article is one of the more difficult articles I have read so far. The first
part of the article I understood. Richards mentions the Doctrine of Usage and
how we should ignore that. Richards wants us to believe that words cannot be
judged on how good or bad they are. He then goes on to say that words are here
just to possess.
In the second section, Richards discusses symbolism. He says
that symbols organize, and communicate. Richards then says that it is our
thoughts that are responsible for organizing, recording, and communicating.
Words mean nothing by themselves and cannot stand alone. Meaning can be given
to the words when a thinker takes the words and makes them stand for something,
or gives them meaning. This section was a little confusing. I was able to
understand most of the section but once I read past the Diagram I got a little
lost. The diagram helped me a little but I still had trouble understanding
Referent. Richards talks about delegated
efficiency, which is, that it applies to the to the “meaning of words, whose
virtue is to be substitutes exerting the powers of what is not there.” Delegated
efficiency can also be called context.
Context is
essentially a remix. This is seen when the media takes something that is said
and puts it out of context. This is a remix because there is a different spin
put on what has been said. A new meaning is given to what has been said but its
original state has been kept. Context
can have a big effect of a piece of writing.
No comments:
Post a Comment