I
found this article very interesting. Johnson-Eilola and Selber’s concept of
assemblage is basically the same thing as remixing. In the article, assemblage
is defined as text built primarily and explicitly from existing texts, in order
to solve a writing or communication problem in a different or new setting. They
are both essentially the same thing; they focus on adding upon something
original or previously done to solve a problem or pose a question in a new
setting. For example, the website designs they illustrated in the article started
with a simple, original one. Then people added and changed it to fit their new
setting. We can draw the line between plagiarism and originality at patch
writing. It is simply deleting words, substituting words with synonyms, altering
grammatical structure, and plugging in new words. I believe that is definitely plagiarism
because there is no remixing or assembling of different ideas at all. It is
just taking someone else’s work and making a few minor changes. Towards the
latter part of the article, it mention gendered metaphors and how people
associate originality with masculinity and plagiarism with femininity. I did not
quite understand what they meant by saying that. Did they mean they people who plagiarize
are weak because they cannot think for themselves, or did they mean something
else? Because they go on to say “male oriented metaphors can devalue dialogic
collaboration”, which is confusing. Also, initially I was confused by the “Performance
to Action or effect” but it became clear to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment