Monday, September 8, 2014

Blog 3- JES Article

Within Johnson-Eilola and Selber’s article, the concept of remix was scattered throughout in a sense to emphasize the difference between remixing and plagiarism. What I retrieved from the article was that there needs to be less pressure on students for using work from other but instead there should be appraisal on the fact that a student is able to take someone else’s work and utilize it alongside original work to create what would be considered a remix. Their concept of assemblage is what I consider to be a remix, both meaning include the idea of putting items together in order to create a revision of an “original”. A perfect example would be the mention of teachers using different sites and sources in conjunction with their original words/ text to provide students with what they see to be the best teaching tools. The line between plagiarism and originality could be drawn when the work in question is not something the “creator” can freely explain without any resources at hand. To simply modify a piece with a few changes does not make it one of originality. Plagiarism is to claim anything that isn’t yours simply for the purpose of not the ability to create your own idea on an idea. My only confusion came from the ordering of the sections. Also in comparison to the length of the article I expected more subtitles but there was not many so occasionally the idea behind the paragraph I would be reading was lost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment