Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Grace Nelson Blog Post 1

To me writing is when we take a non-tangible idea or feeling and convert it into language that can be written and read. Writing is a form of expression, my personal favorite form. Whether we write for fun, or to fulfill an assignment, or to keep written records, the fundamental rules are all the same. It’s fascinating to think that a novel and a legal contract are both just writings that have used the same set of words and grammar rules to produce a different kind of work. This concept of using the same tools to produce different products brings us to ask what is truly original and what is a remix. To me, remixes are expressions (writing, music, film, etc.) that are heavily based on a previous work. For example, new songs that sample from already published songs can be considered completely new songs. Usually these songs take the backing music and write new lyrics. Either way, the core of the song from a musical perspective is copied, but the song from a lyrical perspective is completely original. Remixing and originality can be judged depending on how we decide to view anything that is new. Writing and remixing are connected because writing can be defined as rearranging preexisting words and remixing can be view as rearranging preexisting ideas.


My expectations for this course are to improve my writing skills and to enjoy writing even more than I already do. I hope to become a better writer by improving my vocabulary and grammar usage. I feel that I will be able to do this through the drafting process. In my ENC 1101 class that I took last summer I noticed my writing improve greatly, I hope to have that same growth, if not more, in this course.

No comments:

Post a Comment